Wednesday, December 19, 2012

2012 Gear Review - Camera Bodies

Time to review my gear and how I used them for the past year and to try and figure out what to do with them for 2013. This week (or post), I will cover camera bodies.


Canon EOS 5D Mark II - This is my workhorse and primary camera. It is my main stills and video camera.  No complaints here.  I'm quite sure it will be around for the whole of 2013 barring any unfortunate incidents. Whether it will be as my main camera or a back-up remains to be seen.  It's not a bad camera and it certainly didn't go bad overnight with the release of the Mk III.

Canon EOS 60D - I bought this primarily because I found a great deal.  I needed a second video camera anyway as I have been offering video services as of late. It is primarily a video camera for me.  I've installed Magic Lantern on it and it has unleashed the better camera that quietly resided deep inside it prior to the ML upgrade.   I have also used this body for my product work as the flip-out screen has proven handy for certain shots.  This will probably be around in my arsenal for the whole of 2013. I don't see any reason to upgrade this body.

Canon EOS 5D - The classic. I used this for volume work.  I've pretty much used this for most of my product e-commerce work where the megapixels do not matter.  I also use this for my time-lapse work for Graffiti House LA.  Other than that, this 5D Classic is pretty much just an incaseshithappens camera.  I have plans of selling it if I find the need for another camera body.

Canon EOS 40D - Another incaseshithappens camera. I like it keeping it around though as it is my only "fast" camera at 5 frames per second in burst mode. The 60D shoots at the same rate, but I don't have a grip for the 60D.  I also use this for my eBay photos. At 10 megapixels, shot in small jpg, I don't have to resize my photos.  It shows up fine on eBay and greatly reduces upload time.  I also use this for time-lapses. This will get sold to fund another camera body should I find that camera.




Fujifilm X100 -  I love this camera.  It is my favorite camera. I do not carry a Canon body as a walk-around anymore.  For daily use, this is the only camera I need.  I just love everything about this camera.  Well, almost everything.  The autofocus has a lot to be desired, but other than that, it is the perfect camera for me.  I have even used the X100 to shoot a whole lookbook for a Mens fashion line.  I also keep it on me as a second camera on the few events that I shoot. Rumors are that there is an X200 in the works, but I'll probably hold off until 2014 for that.




Hasselblad 500c - My only film camera at this point. I've sold off everything else.  I used to have a Canon EOS Elan II, Bronica ETRS, Mamiya C3, and various 35mm film bodies (Nikon, Minolta, etc).  I hardly used this in 2012.  I shot a roll of 120 film every time I did a portrait or a headshot for somebody.  It was not part of the package I offered, but I just did it for fun.  I like having the square prints and sticking them on my wall.  I rarely shoot film now, but if I do, it will be with the Hassy.  That reminds me ... I have a 4x5 camera somewhere. I haven't seen it in the last two years, I think.

My gear path in 2013 is still unclear.  I can probably just keep all the cameras mentioned above and I'll do just fine.  There is no immediate need for upgrades, however, who doesn't want new gear?  If I do find a good deal, I will probably upgrade one or two of the cameras mentioned earlier.

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III is actually tempting.  Ultimately, I don't really need it but I do WANT it.  The new auto-focus system alone is enough justification.  Too bad it is too expensive.  The less expensive alternative, the Canon EOS 6D does not appeal to me at all.  Yes, it is newer technology, but the sticking points to me are the old-style focusing system and the 1/180th flash sync speed.  Those two reasons make it a non-starter for me.

I am also tempted to make a jump to digital medium format.  I came really close to buying a Mamiya ZD recently.  It is the only affordable system for me in this category.  In the end, the old technology swayed me away from it.  I still want "that look" though. Who knows? A good deal on craigslist or eBay, I just might give in.

In terms of video, I am highly intrigued by the Digital Bolex.  Somehow, while everybody is excited about the Black Magic Cinema Camera, it just doesn't do it for me.  Not interested.  However, should the Digital Bolex become available, and if my finances let me, I think I'll jump in.  Maybe. Not really. But still.

Next post will be about lenses. Hopefully next week.



(I'm going to hashtag that ... #incaseshithappens )


Social Media stuff, if you're into that:
Twitter - @geraldgonz
Facebook - Gerald Gonzales (Photographer)
Instagram - (only if they change their TOS)

And to view my work:
Gerald Gonzales
This Guy Creative Services

No comments:

Post a Comment